Monday 5 August 2019

The Esplanade Hotel and Fistral Beach and Lots of Cars


In my previous couple of posts I mentioned that we stayed in Newquay for a few days. We were lucky enough to be gifted a free stay at the Esplanade Hotel, overlooking Fistral Beach - the white building in the photo above.

B
elow is a photo I snapped while having a coffee in their downstairs public rooms, overlooking the beach - thus the reflections in the picture.

Of course, while seeing the impressive beach, there is also a good view of cars - many cars - many, many cars.


Parking is limited and very few are lucky enough to get in the small hotel car park. This therefore means parking in the road - if you can find a space. I couldn't when I arrived and had to park a heck of a way from the hotel. In the photo below you can see cars continuously along the Esplanade, not a parking spot to be seen.

The difficulty is that beach-goers also park here when they are going to Fistral Beach. The situation improves after about six o'clock in the evening.


Here's where I eventually parked in the evening. I snapped the photo while my wife was rummaging in the boot for something or other - I blurred my car registration number.


The hotel has it's good and not so good parts. I enjoyed the food, both the three course meal in the evening and the full English breakfast. There were vegetarian options.

What I didn't like was the accommodation. We had a standard (small!) room, which looked out to the back of the hotel and, when we walked in, it was like an oven - no air conditioning. In fairness we found a fan but it didn't really help much. As well as the heat, there was lots of noise all through the night.

As I mentioned, I didn't have to pay for the room, but If I had I was informed it would have been £210 per night for a couple (including dinner and breakfast) and more for a higher standard room.

Finishing on a positive note the hotel has an enviable position with excellent views, as below, and we found all of the staff to be very friendly and pleasant.


See also:
(1) Newquay Cliff Tops Plus an Abundance of Sand at the Gannel Estuary, Cornwall 
(2) Photos of Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall

2 comments:

  1. I think some hotels in Cornwall are quite pricey. We have stayed at the headland and watergate Bay. Both. Lovely. We used to like the ponsmere but it was knocked down. We now look for cheap travelodge or premier Inn rooms or sun newspaper hokidays. We still enjoy cornish scenery and eat pastys! Thanks for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Newquay now gets very busy in the main season, so hotels have the upper hand as the demand is there. I agree with you though, the Premier Inn and Travelodge chains are fine. Glad you still enjoy Cornwall.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

My Garden in Cornwall

There still isn't much colour in our garden at the moment, here in Cornwall. I think Spring must have forgotten us.  On the opposite  ...