|West Bridge, St.Austell, Cornwall|
We know it's minimum age because it was mentioned by someone called John Leland in 1538. He was King Henry VIII's Chaplain who was sent out around the country to gather material for a history of England.
Leland, sometimes spelt Leyland, didn't seem to think much of St. Austell as he wrote (in old English): "... the poore toun of St Austelles is nothing notable but for the paroch chirch. And there is a bridge of the same name."
500+ years ago things would have been different. The bridge would then have carried all of the visitors and tradespeople to and from the west of St.Austell town. How times change.
The roadway of the bridge (photo below) has, unfortunately now been covered with tarmac but the passing V-shaped places can be seen.
|The roadway of West Bridge, St.Aystell, Cornwall|
|1803 etching of the approach to St.Austell town|
For other ST.AUSTELL posts click here