Friday 1 February 2019

Newquay Harbour, Cornwall In 1875 and 2019

Newquay harbour, Cornwall
Newquay Harbour, Cornwall 2019
I snapped the above photo of Newquay Harbour looking down from the balcony of the Fort Inn. This must have one of the best views in Cornwall as, in the  opposite direction, is Towan Beach and a long stretch of coastline..

However, I used this photo today to compare with how the same scene looked way back in 1875. The main difference being the railway lines stretching onto the middle pier. For a period Newquay was used to export china clay.. The trains enabled workers to load the sailing ships direct from the railway - now only the pier remains.

Today Newquay is a busy holiday resort, known for its surfing and numerous sandy beaches.
Vintage 1874 photo of Newquay Harbour, Cornwall
Newquay Harbour, Cornwall 1875

3 comments:

  1. Both wonderful views, Mike. The harbor has stood the test of time very well and it looks to be a well-protected harbor. I'm sure that the addition of the stone breakwater in the center means it will remain unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, thank you. The harbour is only small but has a smooth sandy beach when the tide is out. The main town here gets packed in the summer with surfers and families - so somewhere to visit out of season.

      Delete
  2. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll.
    Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;
    ) I will return yet again since I book marked it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.
    I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written! http://www.cspan.net/

    ReplyDelete

FEATURED POST

CORNWALL'S EDEN PROJECT - 20+ photos

We had a visit to Cornwall's Eden Project. It wasn't looking its best, because of the time of year, but we still enjoyed our visit ...