Friday 9 August 2019

St.Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall : An Old 1261 Church Plus Dozens and Dozens of Vintage Motorcycles.

The church of St.Stephen, Cornwall

Old Stone Cross in St.Stephen churchyard, Cornwall
I was in St.Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall on Wednesday. We had two reasons to visit the village, firstly to tend a grave in the churchyard - always a sad moment.

The church (as above) was dedicated on 20th August, 1261 but has had various renovations over the years. It is thought that this wasn't the first church here, as there are very ancient stone crosses in the churchyard.

Our second reason to visit St.Stephen was to visit Hawkins Garage. We bought a new car from the group last year and the first service was due. While waiting for them to complete the service we had a coffee in their café. 

Never having been in there previously we were surprised by all of the old motorcycles on display - dozens and dozens of them.

Must admit that I have never been into motorcycles. I remember when young most of my friends got motorbikes but I bought an old banger of a car instead. I think I realised the advantage of a back seat.

Anyway, I snapped a few quick photos of some of the motorcycles. It really is a museum and everything is so neat and tidy. As I understand it the café / museum is open six days a week and entry is free.

Here are just a few of the motorcycles … BSA ...

Vintage BSA Motorcycles

… Triumph ...

Vintage Triumph Motorcycles

… Triumph Thunderbirds …

Vintage Triumph Motorcycles

... and I believe this is a McKenzie. From the sign I see it was initially sold for 26 UK Guineas. 

McKenzie Motorbike

 Even though I'm not that interested in motorcycles it made a fascinating half an hour looking at them. I'll stick with a car though!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection of old bikes, all British by the look of it. Super photographs Mike, I could spend a happy few hours in there, but I might have to keep buying a tea now & then to justify my stay. Well worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. It was certainly a surprise to see all of the old motorcycles. After doing what we had to at the church we headed back to the garage - we had vouchers for coffee and cookies in their café. It was amazing to see all of the bikes, they were all British. I remember my friend, when I was young, had a BSA. He used to say it meant Bits Stuck Anywhere! Brought back a few memories.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

Beaches and Harbour at Newquay, Cornwall

It's raining yet again in Cornwall, so I've dug out a few photos of a short stroll looking at a few of Newquay's beaches. T...