Friday 11 March 2022

A Walk Along Spit Beach, Cornwall



You never know what to expect on a walk in Cornwall. My first two photos were snapped about 30 minutes apart.

We were out and about and noticed the Spit Beach car park was empty - so we decided a walk on the beach would in order.


The walk to the beach isn't that special as it is a pathway without any decent views. Oh, and the path is often used by dog walkers. Unfortunately some of them don't pick up what they should pick up.



All is not lost though, as when nearing the beach, there are views across a golf course. If you change your mind about walking on the beach the coastal path, seen above, will take you to Carlyon Bay.

Below is today's first glimpse of Spit Beach with nobody else about - Perfect! 


The beach is sandy and is often described as a locals' beach. Not too many visitors find their way to Spit.


While on the beach the wind started to blow and the sea got quite rough.


I like to see the waves crashing onto the rocks as per the photo at the top of this post and below.


I also like cliffs ...




One of the cliffs is now a natural archway. I always feel compelled to walk through the arch.


After seeing the cliffs we made our way back via the beach.


Quite a few stones and pebbles on the sand - brought in by the waves.


Below, looking back to where we had walked. As I mentioned earlier the coastal path runs along the sea side of the golf course. There are some pleasant views from on high.


And that was the end of our walk.


So much of the rest of the week was rain, but seeing daffodils everywhere lifts the spirits.


The daffs I like most locally are in the arc of flowers which return every year. The daffodils were planted to remember the Marie Curie cancer charity Having gone through kidney cancer I can appreciate the good work they do. 


That's all for now, enjoy your week ~ Mike.

15 comments:

  1. Such wonderful photos there, thank you for sharing them. We love Cornwall and miss the smell of the sea and the bracing walks along the beach so much. Hubby can't drive very far now so I doubt if we will visit again so your photos are doubly welcome. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, Mike, I'll visit you again if I may 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for leaving a comment. Such a shame that you are unable to visit the places you enjoy. Life moves on I guess and not always for the best. All good wishes ~ Mike.

      Delete
  2. We have similar areas where the visitors rarely go and it's good to have a quiet few moments. The waves in your pictures look very powerful, invigorating to be around them.
    It's a shame that some dog owners don't behave properly, gives the rest of us a bad reputation. Take care Mike, enjoy the Daffs. 😊 🐕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, hopefully more and more colour should now follow in the countryside, as the weather improves - I'm presuming that it will improve, of course!
      We had dogs for many years but have decided no more now - we enjoy our son's dog, Max, though - a red fox retriever. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. I always consider a deserted beach to be the perfect place for a stroll and you were lucky to see and hear the crashing waves. You captured them beautifully! I appreciate the map as well and can see some familiar names from the places you write about sometimes. Our daffodils are covered with snow right now but they will be fine once it melts a bit. I’ve learned not to cut them and bring them inside for they don’t like it and will wilt quickly if they’ve been in snow. We also are irritated by dog owners that don’t clean up, so I guess that is a universal problem. Enjoy the coming springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, must be lovely to see daffodils in the snow, we rarely get any snow in Cornwall. We have had, though, some very strong winds - so much so that a tree nearby fell across the electric power lines and out went our lights for a few days. Made a few interesting days! All good wishes, always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful walk, Mike. And as for those Marie Curie daffodils, well, it's a truly heartening sight to behold. Spit Beach is quite new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caroline, so good to hear from you. Spit Beach isn't very special but when the wind blows and there isn't anyone else about it can be quite refreshing. Trust all is well, all good wishes.

      Delete
  6. What wonderful photos, Mike. Those cliffs could be in Portugal! I love the shapes and stratifications. Marvellous. I see it's near Par. I spent a holiday at Par sands. Now I wish I'd found Spit Beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You can walk to Par from Spit Beach, not very far at all. Good wishes.

      Delete
  7. AMAZING sea photos Mike!!! Spit Beach has such a great name. I have heard it mentioned in a couple of local history books my neighbour lent me, but have never been. The Marie Curie daffodils are very beautiful too. Hope you are having a good week :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lulu, We often used to walk Toby our border collie at Spit (we always picked up!) There is a metal bridge to cross and Toby wouldn't cross this - so I always had to carry him across. Happy days. Best wishes.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

My Garden in Cornwall

There still isn't much colour in our garden at the moment, here in Cornwall. I think Spring must have forgotten us.  On the opposite  ...