Friday 20 January 2023

A SURPRISING SNOWFALL IN CORNWALL


As I stumbled downstairs, bleary eyed, to make the first pot of tea for the day I noticed the early daffodils on the kitchen windowsill.


As my eyes adjusted to the light I looked out of the window and there it was: snow! Who'd have thought it? We rarely get the white stuff in the part of Cornwall where I live. I grabbed my camera, crept out into the garden, and took a few quick photos. It was a decidedly  chilly.


Snow always reminds me of my mum and dad, now sadly departed. I can remember, as a child the excitement as the first snowflakes started to fall. This was way back in West London, where  the snow seemed to be a regular visitor.


My Cornish snow soon became quite watery ...


... and gradually faded away.


The previous time we had snow locally it was quite a grey day, with a pleasant crunch of snow underfoot.


There was snow alongside the local stream. I remember how quiet and peaceful everywhere seemed. The world was at peace.


Hope the weather has been kind to you.
Good wishes ~ Mike.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your snow pictures Mike, and also the indoor Daffs. Never considered doing that with daffs. It's a few years since we had any significant snowfall, when we do though, like you pointed out, I find the silence as the snow absorbs sounds very restful. And also, my garden looks as good as everyone else's! Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, there is still a small amount of snow lingering in our front garden. It's been quite chilly over the last couple of days.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, Mike, and as you say, quite a surprise for Cornwall. I hate being out in snow, but don’t mind looking at it in photos and from the window, especially if it’s sunny as well. We arrived back in the Netherlands (from Spain) to quite thick snow on Thursday, but thankfully, it’s gone now. It’s just very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks. I don't mind the snow too much as it's rarely too deep in Cornwall and doesn't stay for very long - fortunately! You must have noticed a difference in temperature from Spain. All good wishes.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful snow photos, Mike. How strange that Cornwall has had snow. We have had plenty of frost and ice here in my corner of Suffolk ... but no snowfall recently. I think I have only ever once experienced snow in Cornwall ... among the Camellias in one of the big gardens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow has gone now but still some white frosts on some of the houses. Thanks for leaving a comment - stay warm!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I think you got a bit more snow in your garden than ours Mike. Although it was snowier as I went up the hill to work Lovely photos and gorgeous sunny daffs :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lulu, thanks, always good to see the daffs, it gives hope for the rest of the year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

FEATURED POST

Beaches and Harbour at Newquay, Cornwall

It's raining yet again in Cornwall, so I've dug out a few photos of a short stroll looking at a few of Newquay's beaches. T...