Monday 4 November 2019

The Impossible Pie and Gemstone From Beyond The Grave

Recipe for Impossible Pie
A different sort of post today. We visited the church in St.Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall (photo at the bottom of the post) to visit the grave of someone special to us. This got me thinking also of my mother and brought back a memory.

When my mother died we came across an old case filled with all sorts of paper bits and pieces she had collected over many years.

One of the slips of paper was the one shown above - a recipe for Impossible Pie. I'd never heard of or seen such a pie previously, but perhaps it is known in other countries.

One of the things mum often said, when I was a child was that, "It's only impossible when you are dead." This would have been when I was moaning about having to do something or other which appeared difficult.


Another saying of hers were words to the effect that everything would work out okay and would fall into place at the right time. Of course, as a child and even a teen, this never seemed realistic.

But mothers know best. Okay, perhaps only some of the time, but like the Impossible Pie things do fall into place in life - if we follow the 'recipe'. It's also true that nothing is impossible.

The first time I read the recipe it felt like a message from my mum.

Just in case you can't read the recipe, here it is again:

Impossible Pie
Needed
4 eggs
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place all ingredients in blender at one time and blend until mixed together. Pour into a buttered 10" pie dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. When done, crust will be on bottom, custard in the middle, and coconut on top - right where they belong!


Church at St.Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall

After I had parked the car at St.Stephen-in-Brannel as I stepped out, the first thing I saw was this beautiful, smooth polished stone on the ground. Messages from beyond the grave? Who knows!

Gem stone found at St.Stephen-in-Brannel

4 comments:

  1. I like your "mystical" posts that pose questions. Don't know if the polished stone was an omen or message but it's certainly attractive in shape & texture. Hope you kept it?
    The church of St. Stephen in Brannel looks very intriguing, shades of Bram Stoker?
    Interesting post as usual Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David. Yes, I kept the stone. I shall carry it in my pocket for a while - never know, there may be a significance! I usually find white feathers when I visit graveyards, but that's maybe another story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one Mike. Since my mother died all sorts of little treasures have been unearthed, including a wonderful recipe folder with clippings spilling out of it. These sort of things are a great comfort as well as invoking lovely memories.
    Sending good wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Prue, good to hear from you. Yes, these sort of things are comforting. We have a few ornaments about the house from when I was a small child and these often stimulate happy memories. All best wishes.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

My Garden in Cornwall

There still isn't much colour in our garden at the moment, here in Cornwall. I think Spring must have forgotten us.  On the opposite  ...