Wednesday 2 October 2019

Walking the Streets and Memories of Playing Conkers and Other Things

Conker season

The weather hasn't been too good recently - rain, wind etc - so haven't been very far with my camera. 

I have walked the streets locally though and usually find something of interest - in one instance conkers! They brought back memories from childhood when we played the game of conkers.

Where I lived, as a child in west London, there weren't any horse-chestnut trees so my dad would take me on a short bus ride to collect conkers. I remember one occasion when he told me to take a bag with me.

I soon filled the bag so we got on the bus to return home. Trouble was I had brought an old paper bag and when we got on the bus the bag burst and the conkers went everywhere!

Luckily the bus conductor thought this was funny and gave me a selection of money bags to hold the conkers. This was, of course, a long time ago when there were conductors to collect the fares.

Times change, and it appears, according to the media, that playing conkers is now banned in many schools on 'health and safety' grounds. 

Strange really as I can't remember any of my friends ever being hurt, a rap on the hand perhaps but nothing more serious. But I was lucky and grew up at a time when we climbed trees and had lots of freedom to roam.

Regarding conkers t
here was an article in the Daily Mail newspaper asking, "Is this the end of the conker tree?" They claim that the horse chestnut tree may become extinct in Europe. It seems that there has been a decline of the trees because of an invasive moth.

As for the game of conkers it was seemingly first mentioned way back in 1821. I'm not sure if other countries play the game so here's what happens:

Conkers is played by two players who each have a conker threaded onto a piece of string or sometimes a shoe lace. They then take turns to hit the other player's conker with their own until one breaks. The winner is the conker still whole.

Cunning players would try to harden their conker by soaking them with vinegar or perhaps baking them.

But e
nough of conkers, here are a few other photos I snapped on my walk.

I passed by the 500 year old bridge I mentioned in a previous post. Sadly I noticed someone had made their temporary home under one of the arches.

Homeless living under an old bridge

On a brighter note we have palm trees in Cornwall and ...


… there is still some colour about to brighten the breezy days ...


… and something tasty.


More colour, despite the rain and wind.


Going back to the game of conkers I have just remembered that conkers had a score. If the conker survived the game it became known as a one-er. If it won two games a two-er and so on. But, if say you were to beat a six-er, you added six to the value of your score. 

So it was possible to create a high conker value. I can remember once having a twenty-six-er for example.

I think that exhausts my knowledge of conkers!

3 comments:

  1. A very varied post from you this time Mike. Like you I played conkers and recall the scoring system, and the bruised knuckles too! I also remember the things some lads did to make their conkers tougher. Baking them on the oven was a favourite but, if overdone, they could become very brittle. A long soak in vinegar was another, I never found this worked at all, just made them smell! The one thing that did work was time! Keeping your conkers for a year or two made them really hard as I found. But I never had a 26er!
    The Horse Chesnut trees in Lincolnshire are suffering badly because of the invasive moth infestations. Over the last five or six years I've noticed several favourite trees becoming very weak and may soon succumb. These are trees I used to visit as a boy to collect conkers and have taken my children & grandchildren too to gather them. Such a shame, the moths are said to come from the near continent, maybe BREXIT will stop tnem!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David, for your interesting comment and memories. Times have changed so much. We were running free, there were fields and trees to climb even where I lived in west London. There always seemed to be different crazes - such as conkers - or we would be playing our versions of football, cricket and so on.

      Haha, would be good to think that our concerns, over many things, will disappear following Brexit - that's if it actually happens ...

      Delete
  2. Hi I played conkers as a child. Strange we were in Cornwall the past week and noticed conkers and mentioned it. Psweaaged to find the Holy well in the cave... Amazing. Its got a big wooden post I side the cave and is quite a walk on the right of the beach. Cool. It also rained alot... We got drenched a few times!

    ReplyDelete

FEATURED POST

My Garden in Cornwall

There still isn't much colour in our garden at the moment, here in Cornwall. I think Spring must have forgotten us.  On the opposite  ...