Friday 8 October 2021

The Tide Was Out at Charlestown Harbour - and So Were the Spiders


The tide at Charlestown was a very long way out. This seemed to give everything a different perspective. Just look at the old sea groin below, almost looks like some long lost sea monster.


As for the harbour wall, it looked so different without the covering of the sea. Interesting to see the variation of the stones.


Looking back across the rough sand and stones all seemed as it has been for hundreds of years.



We walked alongside the cliffs.


Must stress though that some of the cliffs are liable to fall occassionally. So care has to be taken.


We reached a cave which I find fascinating.


Fascinating because if you look upwards, while inside the cave, there is a square hole to the very top of the cliffs. I've heard various reasons for the hole but the one I like best is one I may have written previously:

We go back to the days of smuggling. The smugglers would beach their boat and rush their contraband to the cave. There would be a rope dangling through the hole and this would be used by the smugglers associates to heave the goods to the top. They would then transfer the smuggled goods to a safe house - and the boat would  quickly take sail before the customs men could take any action.

Could be true!


Lots of seaweed on the shore and rock pools.




Looking across to Cornwall's green fields.


With the tide so far out Charlestown harbour looked so very different.


And now moving on to something completely different: spiders and cobwebs!


There seems to be an abundance of spiders and cobwebs everywhere at the moment.






We have even had spiders in the house, several of them have popped in to say hello. Some quite large.


I never kill spiders, as the old saying goes: If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.

I caught the spiders using a glass and a card. They were then released outside. 


Moving on we visited the Eden Project with our son and his family. One of the exhibits I wanted to see again were the horses made of driftwood by artist Heather Jansch. I had read that she sadly died in July.


The horses have been by the entrance to the Eden booking office for a long time. I'm always fascinated how they have been created from genuine driftwood.


Many thanks for visiting my blog - how quickly time time passes. Enjoy every moment ~ Mike 

4 comments:

  1. Always interested to see Charlestown, the low tide pictures give a very different impression. The 3rd image showing the changes in the stonework probably illustrates repair work in days gone by.
    We've just started seeing spiders in our garden but none quite so industrious as yours. I too use a glass (or, actually a jam jar) to evict unwanted spiders, flies or moths, so pleasing to see them escape and not simply squash them. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David, Yes a different look to Charlestown even for me. Never seen the tide so far out by the harbour. As for spiders, I try not to squash any insects and the like. Live and let live. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mike, very lovely to see you capture Charlestown at low tide. What a magnificent smuggling shaft. I am imaging cases of rum being shimmied up that. I like your old saying about letting the spiders live. I read something saying those big spiders are always in the house, it is just they come out at this time of year to go a courting. Monsieur also traps them in glass & card, but then pretends to trip and fall, with opened jar, on us! (he has previously let them go out in the porch!). I've just spotted I missed you post from last week, so you haven't got rid of me just yet..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lulu, as for the spiders, I think you are right they are house spiders. No doubt, after I let them free outside, they sneeked back in the house again. Have a great week.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

CORNWALL'S EDEN PROJECT - 20+ photos

We had a visit to Cornwall's Eden Project. It wasn't looking its best, because of the time of year, but we still enjoyed our visit ...