Friday 2 February 2024

A Stroll at Charlestown, Cornwall


After all of the rain, coldness and dark skies we actually had a day of sunshine in Cornwall. So off we went for a stroll around Charlestown.


As we walked I snapped a few quick photos. Even the small beach was tempting.


Not many boats to view but, on the plus side, there were very few other people about.






The sky was a perfect blue, at least for a while.


We wandered along the harbour wall.


Looking inland the cliffs and beach were on view.





It is hard to imagine that 40,000 tones of copper ore were exported from Charlestown between 1810 and 1811.


See my post  For a Brief History of Charlestown.


After our stroll we made our way home. The photo below is of the outer part of Charlestown with green fields in the distance.



We actually walked to Charlestown from Carlyon Bay along a public path to make our stroll / walk a bit longer.


That's all for Charlestown today,  so a couple of indoor flowers my wife has grown, t0 finish the post.








Thanks for visiting my blog
Good wishes, Mike.

6 comments:

  1. Good to see some blue sky and photo's from Charlestown too Mike. Tha copper trade and I guess the China clay trade must have provided jobs for a lot of Cornish people. I remember when the fishing industry was at its height, Grimsby was a thriving place. Its very rundown now though. Good to see that tourism has given Charlestown a new lease of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David. The china clay was known locally as white gold - many fortunes were made in the St. Austell area plus it meant there was work for local people. It's surprising what the china clay is used for: such as glossy paper paper, cosmetics, toothpaste and so on. As for tourism and Charlestown the local Inn, is building an extension for 23 more bed rooms. plus there are more food outlets opening up. I hope the character of Charlestown won't be lost.

      Delete
  2. I'm sick of the rain and heat in my part of the world Mike, and ironically there is another cyclone off the coast of Queensland possibly developing, and if it makes cyclone statis will be named Cyclone Lincoln, which is my ex-wife's maiden name.
    So, it will either be full of hot air or if it turns towards Brisbane could destroy my home ... again;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you well with the cyclone and hope that your home stays safe. It must be quite a worry, especially with that name link to your ex-wife! I always think of Australia as being sunshine all the way. Anyway, thinking of you, good wishes. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike. I always enjoy your visits to Charlestown and thanks for the history as well! I’m sure that the town is lovely in all seasons and for good reason it must get very crowded in the summer. The flowers are beautiful. I normally have a nice amaryllis during the holidays but I’ve never been successful keeping the bulb over the year for another blooming. I’m always happy to see the sail boats and you’ve got some great shots here. Best wishes, Ann K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ann, lovely to hear from you. This is the first Amaryllis we have grown, it's quite a beauty. Will be interesting to see if we can get the bulb to bloom again. I always enjoy a walk around Charlestown, it's like a step back in time. Hope all is well, good wishes.

    ReplyDelete

FEATURED POST

A Day in Cornwall: Charlestown, St.Austell, Heligan

A few photos from the last week when we were out and about. Above is the port at Charlestown and below is looking out to sea from the harbo...